Charbonneau Homeowners Association Board Meeting Minutes for June 2022

Charbonneau Homeowners Association Board Meeting Minutes for June 2022

Call to order at 10:00 AM

Board Members Present:

Sandie Maki, Packard Phillips, Bob Bush, Barry Hendrix, Robin Shultz, Janet McGarrigle, Karen Siegel, Randy Hitz

Absent:  Ken Gregson

Also Present:

Steve Chinn and Mike Chinn, Property Managers

Guests: Laura Noffke and Alicia Tomasi


The May 2022 meeting minutes were approved.

Treasurer’s Report 

Everything looks fine.

Open Forum

No questions or comments.  Barry thanked Alicia for helping to distribute food cart announcements.

Old Business

CCC HOA Leaders Meeting

There has been no meeting since our last board meeting.

Board Goals for 2022

Barry presented the following DRAFT goals to start the conversation. After considerable discussion, he decided to take the goals to each committee to get more input and suggestions for adding metrics.

Draft CHOA Board Goals:

  1. Finance
    1. Timely and accurate monthly reports
    2. Investment Policy in place
    3. Fund the Reserve as recommended
    4. Balance the Budget
    5. Zero based budget -build up from Zero vs. Roll-over
  2. Pools/ Rec Hall C
    1. Maximize Pool usage
    2. Maximize Rec Hall C usage
  3. Communications
    1. Timely and accurate Posts
    2. Keep Mail Chimp up to date
    3. Neighborhood survey
  4. Welcome
    1. New homeowners’ introductions
    2. Community events- Food Trucks, etc.
  5. Landscaping
    1. Maximize landscaping projects for the greatest benefit
  6. Emergency Prep
    1. Convert CHOA to meet at locations vs. shelter in place for Great Shake-out
  7. Neighborhood Watch
    1. Establish a working NW program
  8. Sustainability
    1. Determine focus and start process on items the Board agrees

On a related topic, the board decided to post information about the pools making clear the address and neighborhood of each.  Robin will follow up.

Food Trucks

The food truck will be here June 11 from 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM.  Bob was thanked for his efforts to clean up the parking area.  Alicia was thanked again for helping to distribute announcements.

Neighborhood Watch

Barry proposed having an in-person board meeting on July 13 from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM followed by a 15 minute meeting with the Sheriff to give more information about Neighborhood Watch.  The board agreed to do the in-person meeting unless Covid gets worse.  If we are able to do an in-person meeting, we will also make the meeting available on Zoom.  A reception will be held after the meeting.   Steve was asked to get a wide-angle camera for the zoom meeting.

Neighborhood Survey

Twenty percent of residents responded to the survey.  The results are very positive.  They will be shared with residents with a general invitation to those who made comments to talk with us directly.

Committee Updates

Pools and Bathrooms

No report.

Rec Hall

We discussed heating and air conditioning in the building.  We keep the rec Hall at 65 degrees in winter when not in use and 75 in the summer.  Barry suggested a smart thermostat that could be controlled off-site.  Steve will investigate how best to monitor and control the heating and air conditioning.

The window has not yet been fixed, but Steve will follow up.


Steve was asked about the cost of bark dust.  He said the bid came in at $429 per unit for 72 units at a total cost of around $30,000.  Karen reminded us that we budgeted just $27,000 for this.  Steve said he did not think we would need more than 60 units.  He said we could also reduce the depth of the bark dust from 2.0 inches to 1.5 inches.  Steve will work with the landscapers to determine where bark dust may not be needed and whether or not to put down 2.00 vs 1.5 inches.

Karen discussed with Garron about checking sprinkler efficiency and one area will be tested this winter.

Garron will also purchase and begin to use one electric blower, an electric mower and an electric trimmer to test their effectiveness.  They will also purchase extra batteries since battery charges last just a couple hours.

The putting green looks great and is usable for putting and chipping.

Welcome Committee

Janet was ill much of the month but was able to meet with one new homeowner two days before the board meeting. Two other homeowners scheduled but later cancelled meetings with her.

New Business

Plan for July Board Meeting

See above.

Niners Pink Ball Tournament

Karen will represent CHOA at a meeting about this on June 15 at 10:00 AM.

Adjournment: 11:31 AM